May 9, 2009

Alright, Alright, I Know, I Know!

I know I promised to post, but things have been hectic and I've got a particular post I am going to write tonight or tomorrow (after I go to the event tonight) and, um, is that a good enough excuse?

Tonight I am going to see Kurt Zwikl and Frank Whelan speak at the Church of the Mediator by West Park tonight and I'd like to do a write-up about it. It'll be on Hess's! I remember going to Hess's! I got my picture taken with Santa there every year until it closed because my mom insisted that it was the REAL Santa Claus. Now, I am a junior in college and I know a thing or two, but I think I may still be tricked into thinking he was real if I saw that Santa Claus again. I mean, he had a real beard and everything!

I also remember my mom complaining about Hess's a lot once it got sold. After the place closed up, we stopped going to downtown. My mom remembers that Hess's was a major "plus" to the Valley when she and my dad moved here in the eighties. She also remembers that "downtown started going downhill" pretty much right after they moved in. She cites the movie Funny Farm whenever we talk about Allentown's core; specifically the part where Chevy Chase is shouting "Release the deer!" into a walkie talkie. I am not sure if you understand what I mean, but I am officially late for this potluck and I've got to get going!

Real post; real soooooon!

A Funny Farm refresher for ya:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although I don't see the connection between Funny Farm and Allentown, I do appreciate seeing the movie clips - it's been a long time since I've seen that flick!