Dec 29, 2008

Vacation is as Vacation Does

I realize I have been a bit stingy on the posting recently. I have just been running around with my hair on fire recently and I've been doing a lot of non-blog related writing. I am actually working on a poetry chapbook right now, and have been for quite some time, but I lost a lot of my finished work when my computer crashed. I am waiting for technology to fulfill its promise of making my life easier and more convenient. My holiday panic was not at all helped by my brother's warped concept of time. Apparently, the kid doesn't believe in observing daylight savings, so he's kept the clock in the car turned an hour ahead. I went crazy thinking I was late for EVERYTHING. Thanks, Odge. Now I don't feel so guilty about the time I picked all the marshmallows out of the box of Lucky Charms.

I have also been up to other things. I'm working with Project R.E.A.L. and Lifestyles of the G.S.S. and I really like it! I've been spending some time on Hamilton street because of it - more time than I've ever spent before. I think the last time I spent time on Hamilton was a school field trip to the art museum and my teacher said, "Ok. You all have an hour for lunch. Try to stay within a mile of the museum. Try." We ate at Happy Garden. It was pretty great.

I am amazed at the pedestrian scale of downtown Hamilton street. It's too bad that wide sidewalks, human-scale architecture, and well-treed lanes are limited to that small area. What's the New Urbanist saying? "If you build it for people, you get people; if you build it for cars, you get cars." Let's re-zone for people, not automotive convenience.

No comments: